Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Days of Wine and Roses....

Well, maybe not the wine, but definitely roses. *big smiley face*  

I'm up and ready to go this morning, unfortunately the fog is hanging tough.  I have plans to stay home today and work in my garden. Garden...that's giving it more credit than it deserves I suppose. I have a few flower beds, but since I live in the country, they are a little on the "rustic" side shall we say. 

I have been spending the last week or so pulling out roses and other bushes that I am just plain fed up with.  So far to the trash pile has been....

Dark Lady
1 of my Golden Celebrations (I had 3)
forsythia
gardenia
and one other David Austin red rose that I can't remember the name of (I'll change this if I remember the name)

I have moved a few others...

Marchioness of Londonderry...from the front of the house to the front arbor 
Zephirine Drouhin ....from the back of the house to the front arbor
Golden Celebration... from the front of the house to a bed in the yard
Aloha...from the front of the house to a bed in the yard
Some irises from one bed to another bed. (because I wanted all of my irises in the same spot for now)

Today's mission in life is going to be to finish cleaning out the front bed and make a command decision about what goes in there. I am tossing around the ideas of 
1. Moving all of the daylilly's in that bed or
2. Moving a one or two of my roses from the big flower bed to the front of the house and making a separate bed for the daylillys. 

I guess it depends on how ambitious I get today.  

I have a large flower bed in the middle of my front yard. I took 100 feet of edging and made an island and then filled it in with roses. Unfortunately, the creeping grass in my yard has overtaken the island and I can't get a handle on it. So the plan for this year is to select the roses that I love...and I mean love, not like...love, and move them to another, smaller, better manageable bed and get rid of the ones that I hate....or don't love. Ones that leave me more than disappointed every year. Life is too short to live with disappointment from a flower. 

Not long after writing the last paragraph I got a call from my youngest daughter Amanda inviting me to breakfast (for her and Katie) / lunch.  Even the best laid plans go awry when Katie Bug is involved....
  
How could I say no to this face.....
 




Me & Katie aka "The Bug"



So after spending most of the afternoon with Amanda and Katie, it was time to dig into making that decision of daylillys or roses to be moved. I chose the daylillys. Mostly because they need to be put into a bed....the roses can be transplanted willy-nilly (yes, I said willy-nilly) around the yard til I can get the island tore up..or down...or what ever.

Here is proof that I did actually do some work today.....


It's not perfect by any means...and I do leave leaves in my beds because they help with the soil. But I am too tired to put down the mulch.  It will look much better with the mulch, but that will just have to wait for another day. Maybe tomorrow...maybe not. 


I think I feel a nap coming on......













No comments:

Post a Comment