Sunday, March 11, 2012

Stay At Home Sunday.....

I'm trying to do a little better with updating my blog. That being said, I never realized how much work it was to take pictures to along with the writing. Well...it's not like digging ditches or anything, I'm just learning to remember to make sure I have fresh batteries for the camera and knowing what angle to take the pics.

I had every intention of getting up and going to church, but my knees didn't want to cooperate this morning. So today was stay at home Sunday.  So since I was staying at home I thought it might help my week out to get some "do ahead" cooking for the week done.

Here is what I did to the Cast of Characters....

Peeled and cubed an eggplant
Sliced a zucchini and yellow squash
Quartered one container of button mushrooms
Quartered 4 roma tomatoes
Julienned a red and yellow bell pepper
Thinly sliced one onion
Minced 4 cloves of garlic
Chopped some fresh rosemary and thyme
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

I combined all of the veggies, seasonings and olive oil in a large bowl to make sure everything is well coated. I poured it into a large foil lined cookie sheet and baked them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Then I took the pan out and stirred the veggies and put them back into the oven for an additional 30 minutes or until everything was roasted.

The "Before" Shot

When they were done, I set them aside to cool.....except for one small plate. I had to taste test it, right? So I sprinkled on a pinch or so of some shredded Parmesan and viola! Instant goodness!
The "After" Shot

After doing the mixed veggies, I decided I would do up some brussel sprouts that I got from Trader Joe's. I did the pretty similar to the other veggies with some exceptions.

Sliced the Brussel sprouts in half
Drizzled olive oil 
Salt and pepper
Drizzled balsamic vinegar

Placed them on a foil lined baking sheet and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Took them out to flip them over and placed them back into the oven for an additional 15 minutes. 

They're not burnt...trust me

When I took them out of the oven I let them cool before I placed them into a container and put them into the fridge.   I did take some pics of these on a little plate...but for some reason all of the pics came out fuzzy....I guess my enthusiasm got the best of me. 

Then it was time for a coffee break....

Sometimes you just have to have your coffee in a pretty cup!


I hope everyone out there had a wonderful Sunday.....Hope springs eternal here in South Carolina :)


2 comments:

  1. What will you do with the extra veggies now that they are roasted??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use them to go along side some lean protein like chicken breast, a hamburger patty or when I heat them up in the oven I pop an egg in the middle and cook it @ 325 for 10 minutes. It's a quick, easy dinner. I'll use the brussel sprouts when I make my pork chops tomorrow. The veggie's won't last that long around my house..lol!

    ReplyDelete