Saturday, March 10, 2012

One Saturday In Spring....

Today was a really strange Saturday for me. I guess it was because Jim had to leave to go to work at 2 and won't get off til 11pm. That left me pretty much on my own for the bulk of the day.
Not a cloud in the sky

My day started off with some oatmeal topped off with some home made cranberry orange relish that I made the other day. It keeps wonderfully in the fridge for more than a week. All I had to do is take a small bag of cranberries from the freezer and put them in a small sauce pot. Cover them with some water, add about a half cup or so of the splenda brown sugar, a shake or two of cinnamon and the zest of an orange. I section the orange and cut the little wedges into bite size pieces and put them in the pot. Heat until it comes to a simmer. Cook on low until the berries pop and cook down a bit. How long you cook the fruit is probably a personal preference. It depends on how mushy you want the mixture. Me, I like it pretty mushy because I put it in my oatmeal. You can also adjust the amount of sugar you put in too. Or even use just plain Splenda...or even *Gasp!*Heaven Forbid.... real sugar.


After breakfast I was Group Fit bound for my Zumba class. My knee was still a little sore from the digging I did in my yard the other day, but I wanted to give it a shot. Plus, I wanted to see my friend Kathleen...she works out on Saturdays and it's always a pleasure to get to see her.  I only stayed for about a half hour of Zumba because of my knee...but it was nice to see Kathleen and the little bit of Zumba was better than nothing.

Like I said earlier...Jim had to go into work at 2 this afternoon, so I was left to my own devices. It was such a beautiful day and I didn't want to spend it in the house, so I went outside to "piddle" in my yard. I didn't want to do anything too major because of my knee...but I did want to get a few things done.

Dug up and potted some roses



Check out the Rosemary and Parsley already coming up with the Irises

I guess I should really clean the leaves out of the beds before I take pictures...but I wanted to get the pic and really didn't even give it a second thought until just now. Oh well...C'est la vie ;)  

All in all it was a pretty awesome day. I got some exercise and to see my friend Kathleen. I got to play in my garden and as I was writing this...I got a message to call my friend Jackie who lives in Iowa. We've been friends since the late 70's and it is always nice to catch up with her. Here's to hoping that tomorrow is even awesomer...is that a real word? Well, it is to me. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment