Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patty's Day Aftermath....

How as your St. Patty's Day?  Mine was pretty awesome!  I spent the day with some of my grand daughters roller skating. It was fun having them together.

Brianna, Teresa, Katie and Lexi


By the time I got home I was exhausted. I was really glad that I had put my corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot before I had left with the kids. All I had to do is dish it out when it was time to eat. It turned out pretty good. I only make this once a year on St. Patty's Day, so I decided to make it the 'old fashioned way' instead of looking for ways to trim points.  

When I got up this morning I was starving. I decided that the little Weight Watcher Berries and Cream Oatmeal cups weren't gonna do the trick, so I got out the leftover corned beef and the potatoes and cut them up to make a hash. I added some diced onion and red bell peppers and cooked it up in a little olive oil. Add a couple of eggs on the side and viola'....hash and eggs. It was scrumptious .  High in points, but scrumptious. 

Then I was off to church. It was a wonderful worship service. I love going to my church. It's the same one that my Grandmother went to since the early 1970's until she passed away in 2005. Most of the older folks who knew her have passed away too, but there are still a few left and it's like sitting with my Grandmother during those services. I can feel her presence sitting there with me. While I was listening to my pastor talk this morning I looked at my black boots that I was wearing and I swear I heard Grandmommy whisper in my ear "Sweetie, you need to get some white shoes soon. You know you need white shoes after Easter". It made me smile. I love you Grandmommy and for you...no white shoes after Labor Day...and no black shoes after Easter. Strange how some things stay with a person.

But I digress......

When I got home from church I cleaned up the kitchen and started some laundry.  Lunch was pretty much non existent. Amanda, Ernie and girls showed up...and I got caught up with the kids and didn't eat. By the time they left I was feeling a bit peckish....so I whipped up a WW chocolate smoothie with a dash of instant espresso powder, a pear and a few of those Quaker cheddar popcorn bites.  Not the best lunch...but it will hold me over til dinner. 


The other day I went through my freezer and cupboards to try to figure out a menu for the week using what I had on hand. I was pretty impressed that I made a menu for 7 days and even a "lazy day meal" in case I didn't feel like cooking one day. I only needed a handful of fresh veggies from the store to get everything together. I really do need to pay more attention to what I am buying. Things are getting so expensive and it may help me to stretch a buck by planning better.  Plus, it will help me to use up what I have on hand (in the freezer) before summer veggies come into season. If I don't use it up soon...things will end up in the freezer longer than I would like. So..use it or loose it...as they say. (Sometimes I wonder who "they" are, don't you?)

So, on the menu tonight is beef enchiladas. I've made the chicken ones with salsa verde the last few times. Jim asked me a while back when was I gonna make the quote/unquote "regular" ones. So, guess what Jim...tonight is that night. I used a ton of points for breakfast this morning, so I probably shouldn't make these, but it's what's on the menu...and I'm trying to stick to the menu. 

All it needs is cheese....

 And now...into the oven 

Yummo!


Tonight the Baltimore Orioles are playing the New York Yankees on the MLB station and I can't wait.  It's only Spring Training, but I don't care...it's baseball and that's all that matters.  So, getting the enchiladas done and in the oven makes things a lot easier for me since Jim doesn't get off until the game is well on it's way. It'll be "Microwave City" for him when he gets home, but that'll be ok...he doesn't mind. He'll be happy it's the "regular" enchiladas, and I'll be happy that he's happy.  

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening...and Goooo Orioles!
















No comments:

Post a Comment